A Windows replacement project will bring all types of contractor’s to your door.
We all want to assume the best about people we deal with. However, with replacement windows, the combination of quick turnaround and high dollar value sometimes invites those looking to make a quick profit. The challenge with selecting window replacement companies in this situation is eliminating the two most problematic kind of contractors from your process as soon as possible –
- The low-ball artist who may or may not be in existence in a year to perform any service work or warranty work needed. They usually have low overhead (a pick-up truck and a hammer) and no real track record. The quality of the workmanship may be questionable as well.
- On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have window replacement contractors having huge overhead and the expense you find to help pay for that overhead. AND, their prices reflect that reality. Premium pricing no matter what the products.
We believe homeowners deserve great value with their window replacement or any other roofing, siding or remodeling project. Selecting the best, most reliable replacement windows contractor can save you thousands on the front end – and thousands after the project is complete. Avoiding scams and window replacement contractors who just “don’t fit” can be the most important aspect of the process.
Below is a list of ‘red flags’ to save you time, energy and possibly money
Avoid Window Replacement Contractors When
- Confirming the name, address, telephone number or credentials of the window replacement contractor is difficult or cannot be done
- They try to pressure you into signing a contract on the first meeting
- The window replacement contractor offers a “special, low rate” because your home will be used for advertising purposes
- The contractor tells you signing a contract “today” will secure a special price
- The replacement windows contractor has no references to provide
- You receive out-of-date information or no promotions that are longer valid.
- Verifying license or insurance information is difficult or cannot be done.
- Payment for the entire job in advance is requested.
- A salesperson asks to be paid in cash (rather than a check to the company)
- The company has no website, cannot be found in the telephone book, has no listing with the local Better Business Bureau, or with a local trade association, etc.
- The window replacement contractor does not inform you of your right to cancel the contract within three days. This grace period allows you to declare the contract null and void without penalty should you change your mind. NOTE: Law requires notification in writing of your Right of Rescission.
In Addition, Be Cautious When
- Vague or reluctant answers are given
- You are not satisfied with answers to questions
- The contractor does not listen well or is impatient
- The contractor is difficult to contact
- The replacement windows contractor has poor communication skills or seems deceptive
- Only the work is addressed, instead of your needs as the homeowner.
- There are no previous projects to review – presentation book, website, etc.
The majority of window replacement companies in Madison WI are reputable. However, there are those who will take advantage of homeowners not familiar with the window replacement process.
Getting The Most Value With Your Window Replacement
Getting the most value from your window replacement project starts with selecting the best contractor in Madison WI – AND avoiding the worst, for your needs.
The Sims Exteriors & Remodeling staff are not only window replacement experts, but are specialists in all remodeling challenges including roofing, siding, ventilation, adding additions, bathroom remodeling, kitchen remodeling, basement remodeling, sun tunnels, deck additions and more.
We are window replacement specialists serving the Madison WI area including Middleton, Waunakee, Fitchburg, Oregon Verona, McFarland, Stoughton, Cottage Grove, Sun Prairie, Deforest and all of Dane County.
Contact Sims Exteriors and Remodeling– 608-825-4500 for assistance selecting the best windows and the best replacement windows company for your needs in Madison WI .