Buying new windows for your home is a challenging task. A wide array of materials, styles, manufacturers and local replacement window contractors can create a difficult mix to navigate.
When homeowners receive replacement window quotes, the biggest challenge is usually understanding how to break down the quotes and know what specifically charges are for.
To help homeowners grapple with unraveling the replacement windows riddle, Sims Exteriors and Remodeling created the New Window Buyers Guide. The guide provides –
- A detailed comparison of window types and materials
- A review of the hardware enabling window function
- Energy efficiency explanations and labeling details
- The real, ongoing and shameful cost of bargain basement replacement windows
- A guide to vetting and selecting a great replacement window contractor
- Details on how to avoid scams and shady window replacement contractors
- An “Apples to Apples” contractor comparison worksheet to help you identify the best new window contractor for your home
Why A Systematic Process For Buying Replacement Windows Is Useful
When it comes to selecting a new window for your home, several factors determine the overall cost of your replacement windows, the competency of your new window contractor and how long new windows last after they are installed. The Window Buyers’ Guide mentioned above provides guidance for the most important components of your new window decision. They are –
- The replacement window contractor you select – proper installation is needed for your windows to perform correctly
- The type of windows you have installed – length of service, related cost and matching the style and feel of your home
- The price of optional qualities – hardware, window glazing and other elements “define” your new window
- The window installation costs – avoid being “penny wise and pound foolish” – quality installation is needed for a new window to perform as expected
The New Window Types Installed In Madison WI
Of course, the type of new window you choose for your home depends on the shape and size of your home and your personal preferences. There are a few general window types including –
- Bay & bow windows
- Casement windows
- Picture/fixed frame windows
- Single & double hung sash windows
- Awning windows
Picture and casement are usually the least expensive, with bow and bay windows being the most expensive. Beyond the cost of the windows themselves, installation can vary greatly by window type. For example, A Double Hung window is an easier installation than a picture window or a bay or bow window. All of these factors figure into quotes you will receive and are important to be aware of when comparing new window installation quotes.
Your New Window Glass In Madison WI
The type of glass you choose for your window can significantly increase the price you have to pay for your windows. The most expensive glass has all of the energy saving elements included, such as –
- Double glazed glass
- Low-emissivity coatings
- Window tinting
The coating listed above can increase your new window cost by up to 40%. However, they do reduce your energy costs for both heating and cooling as well as protect rugs and furniture near the windows in your home. To get a better understanding of the impact of coatings and glazing put on your new window, contact the replacement window pro at Sims Exteriors and Remodeling. The Sims pros will help you sort out the details.
Replacement Window Contractor Installation Costs
Industry standards show the actual window will represent about 60-70% of your total replacement window budget. The remaining part of the cost will be for window removal, disposal and installation of new windows. Some new window companies will charge far more on window installation. That usually represents the difference in the quotes when comparing quotes. The cost of materials and labor does not change radically from company to company – but the profit margin does. For that reason, it’s always worth looking a few different replacement window contractors to see who is inflating their prices and who is offering a fair quote.
At Sims Exteriors & Remodeling we are replacement window experts. We also excel in remodeling challenges including roofing, siding, ventilation, adding additions, bathroom remodeling, kitchen remodeling, basement remodeling, sun tunnels, deck additions and more.
We are replacement window specialists serving the Madison WI area including Middleton, Waunakee, Fitchburg, Oregon Verona, McFarland, Stoughton, Cottage Grove, Sun Prairie, Deforest and all of Dane County.
Call or email our experienced specialists to help select and install your new window project in Madison WI.