Have you done a walk-around roof inspection on your Madison WI area home? Winter weather is hard on roofing materials. Checking up on your roof is an excellent investment in you time. Summer storms, especially high winds and hail, are threats that will take a toll on a weakened batch of shingles.
Over the years your roof takes a beating from freezing temperatures, scorching heat, wind rain, snow and ice. For a long time you may not notice any changes in your roof. Casual glances at the roof are about the best most homeowners provide. A closer look inside and outside can catch small changes that often lead to expensive repairs.
During a typical Wisconsin winter shingles can shift opening the roof to leaks. Heavy snow and ice dams combined with wind and extreme cold create openings for moisture to enter the house. From there the moisture leads to rot, mold and mildew. Early spring is the time for a professional to complete a detailed inspection. Minor problems you can see are signals of more serious concerns. A roofing professional can evaluate minor indications and suggest solutions before damage goes too deep.
Springtime weather conditions make it possible for roofing contractors to conduct safe, fast and efficient inspections of roofs and gutter systems. In addition, roofing shingles need a specific, warm temperature range to seal properly. The roof is your home’s first line of defense against the elements, guarding its integrity makes sense, doesn’t it?
Create A Roof Inspection Checklist
There are several elements to a complete checkup for your roof, beginning on the outside and continuing on the inside. The components of a roofing system to consider include:
- Shingles – your shingles are the most obvious place to start. Look for cracked, missing or otherwise damaged shingles. If your roof is a modern style with several angles and connecting spaces, look closely for any obvious changes – loose shingles flapping in the wind or missing pieces for example.
- Flashing – flashing is a thin sheet or strip of water-resistant material installed at roof intersections, around windows and doors. It secures joints and directs water away – creating the valleys between the roof’s slopes. Damaged flashing is a leading source of leaks.
- Chimney and vents – anywhere a vent pipe or chimney pokes through the roof there’s a potential for leaks or damage. If the seals are coming apart water finds its way inside. Give the same attention to detail to skylights or sun tunnels if you have them.
- Gutters and downspouts – leaves and winter debris are obvious obstructions that back up water and threaten adjacent roof areas. Damaged from debris or ice dams can lead to expensive water leaks – damaging the roof and anything beneath it, including ceilings inside the house. Heavy snow and ice also puts stress on the gutters – enough weight brings them down!
- Granules – if you note a lot of loose granules it’s a sign the roof is aging. If your shingles lack the protecting texture, it time to consider replacing it.
Once you’ve completed a complete evaluation on the outside, turn attention beneath the roof. Signs of water leaks on the inside of the roof are best spotted from the attic. An attic inspection looks for moisture’s fingerprints that include water stains, black marks, mold and mildew.
After A Roof Inspection – What’s Next?
Once you complete a basic visual inspection of your roof – leaving the high climbing and ladders to professionals – make a list of what you’ve seen. Did you observe any potential problems or areas that cause major concerns? Correcting minor problems and dealing with concerns before they become disasters makes sense, doesn’t it? A smart homeowner is a pro-active homeowner, right?
Whether you’re replacing one or two shingles or the whole roof, you’re making a significant investment in protecting your family and property. The final performance of any replacement roofing system depends upon the team installing it. Taking advantage of the latest, high-end roofing materials delivers peace of mind as well as long-term protection.
The roofing specialists at Sims Exteriors & Remodeling are available to evaluate your roof and advise you on the best options for your home. Sims represents highly-rated roofing companies with extensive warranties. In addition, our installation crews are experienced and factory trained. They’ve been specializing in roofing for decades. We’re so confident in the work our people do we offer our own workmanship warranty for every job we do. We deliver high-end products and peace of mind for decades to come.
If your visual inspection turns up areas of concern, email us, or call Sims Exteriors & Remodeling at 608-825-4500 to set up a professional roof inspection for your Madison WI area home.
Generic Residential Roof Inspection Form
International Assoc. of Certified Home Inspectors – Mastering Roof Inspections