Traditionally, a good roof, depending on type of shingles and the craftsmanship in the installation, lasted between twenty to forty years. Now your roof can last a lifetime with the new style GAF shingles.
But the roof most homeowners have on their homes has a much shorter lifetime. Environmental issues can have a significant affect on the performance and longevity of existing roofs. Weather issues in Madison WI such as hail, heavy winters with ‘melt & freeze’ cycles, larger trees surrounding your home or unknown issues with the manufacturer of your shingles can all play a role in diminishing shingle function or shortening shingle life.
The Importance Of Identifying Roofing Failures
It’s important for a homeowner to be aware of any roof problems before leaks or pests can harm their home. A roof is designed to protect the integrity of your home from the elements. Its one of the things protecting your investment (your home) against the obvious things such as snow and ice, rain, heat, hail, high winds, and even severe weather including tornados. Any signs your roof is not functioning properly should be investigated immediately.
Symptoms of Roofing Problems
If any of the following occur, have your roof inspected immediately by a qualified roofing contractor in Madison WI. Chances are there are some issues with the integrity of your roof.
- High heating and cooling costs – issues with integrity, insulation or both
- Ice damming – usually the result of poor insulation
- Staining on your interior walls – those stains are most likely a result of a roof problem
- Musty smells – dampness is coming from somewhere and should not be left unattended
- Carpenter ants – if any pests are in your home, the roofing should always be checked
- Previous unfixed hail damage – damaged shingles will result in problems
- Damaged flashing—damaged flashing allows the seepage of water into your home causing mold and mildew, stained ceilings and walls, rotting wood, electrical shorts and other very destructive outcomes
- Damaged gutters and downspouts—improper flow can contribute to wet basements, foundation damage and ice dams in winter
Why It’s Important To Pay Attention To Roofing
Sims Exteriors and Remodeling is a GAF Master Elite Roofer and our goal is always to help protect homes using a long term solution. Since your roof is the first line of defense against the elements in Madison WI, being aware of your roofs condition is important for protecting your home and maintaining its value.
Sims Exteriors and Remodeling is a GAF Master Elite roofing contractor. We are ready to help with any questions about products or roofing problems. We are committed to helping you solve any roofing issues you may have. We are proud to be an elite roofing contractor serving Madison, WI and the surrounding areas, including Cottage Grove, Sun Prairie, Waunakee, Middleton, Verona, Fitchburg, McFarland, Stoughton and Greater Dane County.
Call or email our experienced roofing professionals about your upcoming roof project. Sims Exteriors and Remodeling is an Elite roofing Contractor in Madison, WI.